As the Covid-19 (coronavirus) situation continues to develop around the world, the health and safety of HFNZ members is our priority. We would like to assure you that we are taking our response to the pandemic very seriously. The HFNZ executive, CEO, and council has been communicating to determine the actions we will take.
We know that the health and safety of you, your family, and others around you is the most important concern for you right now. It is important to remember that people with inherited bleeding disorders are generally not immune-compromised or at greater risk of viral infections such as Covid-19.
What we are doing
HFNZ are maintaining regular contact with all relevant groups including clinicians and pharmaceutical companies and taking advice from the World Federation of Hemophilia and the NZ Ministry of Health.
We have already taken the step to ban all staff and volunteer international travel or attendance at international meetings until further notice.
We are looking at postponing and cancelling our regional and national events and discussing other ways we can all stay connected.
Our outreach team are always available if you need to reach out for support. Just call 0508 FACTOR.
What you can do
- Keep your treatments up to date, with a two-week supply on hand
- Regularly wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands
- Observe strict cough etiquette by coughing or sneezing into your elbow or a tissue. Discard the tissue immediately into a closed bin
- Implement social distancing measures by avoiding shaking hands and kissing, crowded transportation, and unnecessary mass-gatherings
- Consider proactive workplace and school/day-care measures such as working from home etc.
- Take extra precautions for elderly or immune-compromised groups
- If you have a bleeding disorder, you may be contacted by your treatment centre prior to any appointment to decide whether to maintain, postpone, or conduct the appointment online. If you have concerns about an appointment, contact your HTC directly.
Bleeding disorder treatment products
The companies that supply our treatment products have advised us that there is currently no concern over supply. In its agreements with the pharmaceutical companies, Pharmac has clauses that require that there are 3-6 months stock in the country at any time. That means patients should carry on as normal as far as their treatment goes. Please do not stockpile treatment products, as this may affect availability for others.
The World Federation of Hemophilia advise that there is currently no known risk to blood, blood treatment products, or plasma derived products.
Where you can find out more
There are several useful sources of information about the Covid-19 outbreak:
We will be regularly updating our website and Facebook page, as well as sending out emails with the latest information.
If you have any questions, please contact HFNZ via the 0508 FACTOR number or via firstname.lastname@example.org